What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry in the deciduous dentition is a most neglected thing which is a misconception that after this a new set of permanent teeth will come. But if a foundation is weak then how a building will stand.
Similarly, if kids have healthy time with deciduous teeth the permanent teeth will erupt easily and can stay healthy.
The problem in kids dentition arises because of…
- Alignment of teeth: Spaces in teeth help in easy food lodgment causing decay in teeth.
- Irregular surfaces of teeth: On irregular surfaces of teeth food and bacteria can attach easily and stay for a longer time resulting in decay.
- Wrong food habits: Eating sticky food like chocolate, excess sweets results in bacterial attack causing tooth decay.
- Malnutrition: Because of malnutrition kids won’t get all the nutrition (especially calcium and fluoride ) which is required to build teeth inside the jaw.
- Negligence by parents: Most kids hate brushing and even some parents pamper kids and neglect regular brushing habits.
PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY HELPS TO IDENTIFY THE CAUSE EARLIER TO TREAT IT AND IT INCLUDE
- Frequent visit (every 6 months) to a dentist from 1 year of age.
- Taking X-Rays to know more about milk teeth and developing permanent teeth.
- Learn about milk teeth and developing permanent teeth
- Learn about proper brushing and flossing teeth.
- Removing the irregular surfaces from teeth by grinding and feeling pit and fissure sealant in it.
- If the teeth look prone for decay then fluoride application can help in strengthening the tooth.
- If the dentition has spacing and misalignment then ortho-treatment should be taken into consideration in the future.
- Correcting wrong food habits by educating kids and parents through different pictures and videos.
Giving attention and considering IMPORTANCE OF PREVENTIVE DENTISTRY CAN HELP TO REDUCE AND IDENTIFY MANY FUTURE DENTAL PROBLEMS ALSO HELP TO RULE OUT IN INITIAL STAGE.