Dental cleaning is also known as Dental Scaling. As a dentist we are frequently asked, “when should we get the teeth clean and how frequently?”
Dental scaling consists of removal of the following:
- PLAQUE: is a soft deposit found on the surface of the tooth as a layer/ film. This is a routine deposit caused due to sticking of the food on the surface of the teeth.
- CALCULUS: is formed due to mineralization of PLAQUE, over a period of a few weeks or month.
- STAINS: are caused due to consumption of substances like tea, coffee, and nicotine and sometimes due to heavy metal poisoning like Arsenic.
Ideally, it is suggested to get your teeth cleaned once in six months.
However, some people may need cleaning frequently due to:
- Habits related to tobacco
- Excessive consumption of tea and coffee
- Very frequent deposition of plaque and calculus due to genetic or hormonal conditions